[xmonad] Dropped patches

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:04:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 04:45:50PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> OK, since we aren't applying any patches until after 0.8, I thought I would make a list for when we do. This is a long list, so I hope people read it through (it certainly took long enough to compile).
>
> XMONAD
> <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_xmonad.html>
> 9 patches outstanding. Let's go through the interesting ones:
>
> * "add warpGeometry field to XConf"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005651.html>
> Applicable. No comments on it. Useful? I don't know Mirror so I can't say.

This could probably be applied.

> * "XDG_CONFIG_HOME support"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005762.html>.
> Applicable. Commented upon. The discussion never came to any conclusion I can see. The 5 non-patch emails discussing it:
> ** sjanssen, opposed (or at least skeptical): <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005765.html>
> ** dons, noncommittal: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005770.html>
> ** Brandon Allbery, in favor of (?): <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005771.html>
> ** Devin Mullins, opposed: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005772.html>
> ** Isaac Jones, in favor of: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005774.html>.

Isaac Dupree.

> ** the patch author, in favor of (obviously)
>
> So: 1 neutral, 2 opposed, 3 in favor of. I don't know much about this, but the code change looks fairly clear to me, and the one real disadvantage adduced ('This has one disadvantage I can think of: for DEs that set $XDG
> automatically, users will have to know about it in order to know where
> to put their .xmonad.hs -- otherwise the file won't be detected.
> Perhaps that's not worth worrying about.') doesn't sound terribly serious?

Mark me as opposed.  This patch only complicates xmonad configuration without
adding any real benefits.  XDG_CONFIG_HOME is just one more question we need to
ask when a user is having trouble with xmonad.  Also, imagine if
XDG_CONFIG_HOME was set differently depending on whether GNOME or KDE or plain
X.org or no X at all was running?  This is a support nightmare, in my opinion.

> * "darcs patch: pass mouse clicks on to focused windows (experimental)"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005807.html>
> Applicable. No comments on it. Marked experimental; perhaps Lukas Mai can comment on whether this is still good?
>
> * "Use threadWaitRead to avoid blocking in nextEvent in the main loop"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005895.html>
> Allbery commented with advice <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005897.html>, and Adam Sampson took it and apparently wrote a new & improved patch <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005899.html>. This second patch is applicable, but I see no feedback on it. A good idea? Not being able to usefully run threads because of blocking strikes me as a problem.

I note that xmobar uses a function like this.  Perhaps it should be sent as a
patch to X11?

> * "keyActions moved to XState"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/006063.html>
> A good idea? Looks like it; it enables a interesting looking patch to XMC <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/006041.html>:
>   "* XMonad.Actions.DynamicKeys: utilities to update key bindings at runtime"

> XMONADCONTRIB
> <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html>
> 13 patches outstanding. Let's go through the interesting ones:
>
> * "Actions.Search: added {deb,debbts,debpts,images,isohunt} search engines"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-May/005663.html>
> Not applicable. No comments. I've emailed intrigeri asking him to re-record and send, since it is definitely a worthwhile patch to Action.Search. If he doesn't I probably will (assuming I don't forget).
>
> * "Fix window region checking in UpdatePointer", "Fix window region checking in UpdatePointer (and 1 more)"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005843.html>, <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005845.html>
> Applicable. No comments.  Joachim reported no bugs.
>
> ** "Only move pointers over managed windows"
> <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/20080610195916-23c07-acb9d3a32366a2d83284a837fdac009e54335d5b.dpatch>
> See previous.

These two are already applied.