[xmonad] Re: Dropped patches

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 16:46:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:09:05PM -0600, Justin Bogner wrote:
> > * "ManageDocks: keep struts on top"
> > An attachment on Google Code (?); I can't find the right bug report. Patch: <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/20080626200455-18f27-727aac59e80057468e07299cea1f3516d2652abf.dpatch>
> > Applicable. No discussion that I know of.
> >

> Several people seemed interested in this on IRC, but nobody commented on
> it on the mailing list. It works for my use cases, but I was hoping
> others would comment on whether it could be better in any way.

I remember having comments for this patch, but I must have forgotten to send an
email.  This patch addresses an important problem, but I think it goes about it
in the wrong way.  There are two sorts of struts programs that we typically
use:
 * override-redirect bars like dzen and xmobar.  ICCCM says that we shouldn't
   manage these windows at all, so lowering them is technically a violation of
   the ICCCM.  Instead, these windows should lower themselves on startup.

 * desktop bars such as kicker and gnome-panel.  We are allowed to manage
   these, and they even set atoms on their window we can use to stack them.  In
   manageDocks, when a window is detected as a DOCK or DESKTOP window, we
   should send all DESKTOP windows to the bottom of the stacking order and all
   DOCK windows to one layer above that.

> > * "darcs patch: Improvements in documentation (and 3 more)"
> > ** "XMonad.Actions.Plane: removed unneeded hiding"
> > ** "XMonad.Config.Gnome: using XMonad.Actions.Plane"
> > ** "XMonad.Actions.Plane.planeKeys: function to make easier to configure"
> > <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/006064.html>
> > Applicable. No discussion. (Poor Marco! Counting his Xmonad patch, that makes 5 or so patches that just got ignored.)
> >

> I think the problem here was probably that there are four patches in
> that set, and one of them seems dubious (Plane seems like a user
> preference, not something to default for all Gnome users). The other
> three patches in that set look okay to me.

Yes, this is why I passed over that patch bundle the first time.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen