[xmonad] Re: Dropped patches

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Thu Aug 28 17:09:05 EDT 2008

Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> writes:

> OK, since we aren't applying any patches until after 0.8, I thought I would make a list for when we do. This is a long list, so I hope people read it through (it certainly took long enough to compile).

I've commented on a few of these below.

> * "Make prompt controlMask keybindings work when other modifiers are active"
> ???; patch <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/20080608222350-18f27-aa3de81015e9eb69d4bdd91a21968d9881d80dfa.dpatch>
> Not applicable. I don't know anything about this one. I include it because I don't actually know for certain that the current Prompt code does have working 'controlMask keybindings' when other modifiers are active.

This just fixes a minor annoyance where, if you're holding shift (or
some other modifier) c-a, c-e, c-w and friends still work. It mostly
just fixes an annoyance and isn't terribly important, but I've been
running with it for a while and can't see it hurting anyone.

> * "ManageDocks: keep struts on top"
> An attachment on Google Code (?); I can't find the right bug report. Patch: <http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/20080626200455-18f27-727aac59e80057468e07299cea1f3516d2652abf.dpatch>
> Applicable. No discussion that I know of.

Several people seemed interested in this on IRC, but nobody commented on
it on the mailing list. It works for my use cases, but I was hoping
others would comment on whether it could be better in any way.

> * "darcs patch: Improvements in documentation (and 3 more)"
> ** "XMonad.Actions.Plane: removed unneeded hiding"
> ** "XMonad.Config.Gnome: using XMonad.Actions.Plane"
> ** "XMonad.Actions.Plane.planeKeys: function to make easier to configure"
> <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/006064.html>
> Applicable. No discussion. (Poor Marco! Counting his Xmonad patch, that makes 5 or so patches that just got ignored.)

I think the problem here was probably that there are four patches in
that set, and one of them seems dubious (Plane seems like a user
preference, not something to default for all Gnome users). The other
three patches in that set look okay to me.