[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Devin Mullins me at twifkak.com
Thu Aug 21 00:27:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:57:39PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
>  - contributors please only push bugfixes and documentation updates until 0.8
>    is released
Mind if I add "API change"? I added a feature to UrgencyHook but am not
sure I like the interface, and it'll be better to change it before there
are configs with it.

>  - check the brief change list below, and tell me what I've missed.
I did a diff against
  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.7
and this is what remained:

New contrib modules:
- XMonad.Layout.MultiToggle.Instances defines some common Transformer instances
  for convenience in working with XMonad.Layout.MultiToggle
- XMonad.Actions.CycleRecentWS

Changes to contrib APIs
- Search's "promptSearch" and "selectSearch" functions have shorter invocations
  now; the browser argument is unneeded as XMonad will instead default to
  whatever $BROWSER is, or to using Firefox.
- Search's simpleEngine has changed. It is now named 'searchEngine'. It takes
  two arguments, a site name (which will be used as a prompt), and the URL
  string. If you want to replicate the old simpleEngine, it'd look like
  'newEngine = searchEngine "" "http://..."'.
- WindowGo now has two convenience functions for going to your text editor
  (based on $EDITOR) and your browser ($BROWSER).
- HintedTile now requires an alignment argument. Add 'TopLeft' as the second to
  last argument (the argument right before Tall or Wide) to match the old
  behavior.
- UrgencyHook lets you specify when you want the hook to trigger (default is
  the same: window not visible)