[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:57:39 EDT 2008

The xmonad team has finally been `seq`ed into making a new release, and there
are a few things you can do to help:

 - test these release candidate tarballs
 - let us know about any critical issues that should be fixed before the
 - check the documentation of your favorite modules, and submit bugs or patches
   for any missing docs
 - contributors please only push bugfixes and documentation updates until 0.8
   is released
 - help us update the wiki documentation (the KDE and GNOME guides should be
   updated to use XMonad.Config.*, for example)
 - check the brief change list below, and tell me what I've missed.  These
   changes will be mentioned in the release announcement, so we're looking for
   new functionality, important bug fixes, and compatibility notices

See you on the other side of 0.8,
The xmonad team

    gaps removed
    floats always use current screen
    setlocale/make title locale aware
    performance hack, reduced window redraws
    made (|||) associative

    Perworkspace: selectively apply layout modifiers to workspaces
    ManageDocks: ability to toggle gaps on each side of the screen separately
    HintedGride layout
    XMonad.Layout.Gaps: a layout modifier for manual gaps
    locale awareness for window titles, UTF-8 support
    ManageHelpers: some support for _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
    XMonad.Config.{Desktop, Gnome, Kde, Xfce}
    XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog: xmobar function for starting xmobar
    WindowNavigation improvements
    remove ScratchWorkspace (no longer maintained)
    XMonad.Hooks.FadeInactive: works with xcompmgr to fade inactive windows
    new Scratchpad