[xmonad] Wrong desktop on session restore

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 27 16:40:32 EDT 2008

On Apr 27, 2008, at 12:56 , Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> I don't think xmonad needs to support that - it doesn't
> need to save or restore state. KDE does that part.

Actually it does --- KDE can only save and restore state if the
client understands the WM_SAVE_YOURSELF protocol and posts a
WM_COMMAND in response.

It is, however, irrelevant; we should not be remembering that state.
We *should* restore it, but don't; see below.

>> Are you using EwmhDesktops?
>
> Yes. I guess the first question would be, does that protocol
> support a notion of multiple desktops? If so, can we use
> it to synchronize the notion of desktop in xmonad and KDE?

I suspect the issue is that, while there seems to be code in
EwmhDesktops to support applications requesting workspaces, it
doesn't seem to work.  Possibly we're not listening for the
PropertyNotify that's sent when the current desktop attribute is set
on the window.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu