[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: A better solution for choosing whether the tabbar shou...

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Apr 12 07:45:06 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 04:03:14AM +0000, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:
> David Roundy <droundy at ...> writes:
> > >
> > > Themes are used for decorations other than tabbed -- this option doesn't make
> > > any sense for these decorations.
> >
> > I suppose that's a philosophical point.  But I do object to breaking the
> > existing API.  I'd much rather see an extra flag like this added as a new
> > function (if we can't stick it in the Theme where it won't hurt anyone), so
> > existing configs would continue working.  The fact that this patch had to
> > update three configs that don't use the new feature tells me it's broken.
>
> I did it this way because that was how I interpreted sjanssen's suggestions on
> #xmonad.  If you want, I can do another patch making these changes to the theme
> interface, and setting the boolean flag to false by default.
>
> If I do this though, what should I call the Bool parameter in the theme?
> extraDeco ?

I don't know.  You could pick something.  I'd be more verbose than
extraDeco, something like maybe alwaysDisplayDecorations? But that isn't my
module, so you'd want to follow the style used there.

Or you could define new functions to create tabs that are present even if
there's only one window.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics