[xmonad] Adding some more configs to XMonad.Config (XMC)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 22:20:21 EDT 2008

So, anyway. It's been quite a while since any configurations were
added into XMonad/Config. We still have only Arossato.hs, Dons.hs,
Droundy.hs, & Sjanssen.hs.

But since those were really written, a huge number of features and
modules've been added to XMC. As I recall, two of the justifications
for retaining an XMonad.Config.* in the first place (instead of just
moving all of them to the hawiki) were that
1) They served a valuable role testing out the libraries and modules -
typechecking, imports, names of functions and types, and so on - when
they got compiled.
2) They were examples, offline documentation that would get included
in the source distribution, or at the very least made available as
part of the library. Not everyone can go to the wiki or even knows
about it, after all.

I think that by both reasons we need to add some more configs. Per #1,
there are large swathes of features not even touched by the compiled
configs, and similarly per #2. Another 3 or 4 configs would be a good
addition.

Now, what configs should we pick? I think we need at least two areas
exercised: internalization, and using docks and monitors like dzen2 or
xmobar. I'm not really familiar with configs big on those areas.

I do have a few suggestions, though. I like:
* <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/oxymor00n's_xmonad.hs>
for its length
* <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/andrewsw's_xmonad.hs>
for being a relatively simple xmobar example, or
<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/lithis's_xmonad.hs>
* <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/Wfarr's_xmonad.hs>
dzen in this case, or
<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/Robert_Manea's_xmonad.hs>
* <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/Brent_Yorgey's_xmonad.hs>
This one is interesting for all the programming going on in it, but
I'm not sure it's the best example - I suspect he's redoing some of
the XMC modules.

Thoughts?

--
gwern