[xmonad] Gaps not working

Juraj Hercek juhe_xmonad at hck.sk
Tue Apr 8 07:00:14 EDT 2008

Bas van Dijk wrote:
> Hello,
> I've noticed that the support for 'gaps' has been removed from xmonad
> 0.7. I see that the gaps can now be added by the extension module:
> XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks. However I'm having some trouble getting
> xmonad to recognize my xmobar dock. Here are the relevant parts from
> my xmonad.hs: (I also attached the full file and my .xmobarrc in case
> it matters)
Hi Bas,

Problem is that "Static" position in xmobar doesn't handle struts. Use
Top/Bottom/TopW/BottomW instead of Static to get gaps working. If you
use xinerama and want to have xmobar on different screen than the first
one, take testing patch from
and use OnScreen X {SPEC}, where X is the screen number and {SPEC} is
one of Top/Bottom/TopW/BottomW/Static. Example taken from my .xmobarrc:
       , position = OnScreen 1 Top