[Xmonad] transient windows and tabbed layout

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Sep 21 11:38:19 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 11:18:09AM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

> Is it the intended behavior that when using the tabbed layout transient
> windows will remain even when switching away from the application's
> window?  Or is the problem I am having that my software is not correctly
> hinting its windows?  For example, when I am sending mail in Thunderbird
> it pops up a progress window.  If I switch tabs, the progress window
> remains.  This is not too bad in of itself, but what really annoys me is
> that whenever the progress meter refreshes, it switches me back to the
> Thunderbird tab that opened the progress meter window.

Float windows lead to bad interactions with the tabbed layout, because we
don't have proper handling of float windows.  In particular, we don't keep
track of which tab has focus when focus is given to a float window.  This
is a known issue, and relates to our very hokey handling of floating
windows.  Once they're stored in a separate Stack, this will all naturally
be fixed (or at least easily fixable).
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics