[Xmonad] Re: How to combine xmonad with Ubuntu? (offtopic)

Kai Grossjohann kai at emptydomain.de
Tue Sep 11 08:57:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 08:05:44AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:22 , Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> And then I believe that you can get an X11-less system by installing the
>> server variant of Ubuntu.  Surely they have some mechanisms for updates
>> and the like that do not depend on a desktop environment.  But I don't
>> know any details.
>
> Same way Debian does it:  apt-get.  The other tools, whether CLI,
> curses, or GUI, are just wrappers around the APT toolkit.

That's not what I meant.  What I meant is a replacement for the little
tool in Gnome that pops up a window saying that there are updates and
asks whether these should be installed.

I installed apticron on my Debian system.  It is very nice.  Every
morning about 1/2 h after turning on the laptop, if there are updates, I
get an email saying that there are updates, and then I go to a shell and
type "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade".

So if Debian is nice, Ubuntu will be nicer still :-)

Kai