[Xmonad] Re: darcs patch: add LayoutChoice module.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Sep 6 14:10:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:51:43PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:
>
> >> That's a functionality I missed since I switched to xmonad, so thanks
> >> a lot.  But I cannot apply the patch.  Darcs tells me:
> >
> > I presume the jumping straight to full-screen is what you've missed?
>
> Yes, and since I use 5 layouts which are all usefull in some scenarios
> it's not always possible to guess in what layout I am.  Tiled, mirror
> tiled, full and two-pane look similar for one window, and tiled and
> two-pane look similar for two windows.  So you have to learn the
> sequence of layouts in defaultLayouts and count from the first
> distinguishable layout when switching.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a challenge for me with a similar number of
layouts.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a simple combo/tabbed layout for your
two-pane? I find it much easier, as you can see what other windows are
available:

                   , simpleStacking $
                     combo (twoPane 0.03 0.5) [(full,1),(tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]

> >> ,----
> >> `----
> >>
> >> But my emacs says the file has unix-eols.  What's the culprit?
> >
> > How did you save the patch from your email?
>
> `o' (`gnus-mime-save-part') on the attachment.

Hmmm.  That sounds reasonable.

> > Most likely that's when it got corrupted.
>
> Hm, that's the normal way I do it.  I tested it with another patch and
> it worked.

All I can think is that maybe for some reason gnus corrupts patches only
occasionally (e.g. I've run into scenarios in the past where mailers
corrupted patches containing a "From" at the beginning of a line).  But
I've very little idea what could be the problem.  Maybe you could send the
file you saved to me as an attachment? (Or put it up to be downloaded?)
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics