[Xmonad] dynamic workspaces, session restore

Valery V. Vorotyntsev valery.vv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:41:38 EDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:22 , Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
>
> > 2) When xmonad quits, it forgets layout settings -- number of windows
> >    in master pane, current tiling algorithm, focused window,
> >    master/subordinate ratio, etc. Doesn't it?
> >
> >    We could save this information to `~/.xmonad' file and read it at
> >    next startup.
>
> This is kinda tricky if the windows in question don't exist at
> startup, no?

But xmonad already remembers m/s ratio while running,
even when all of its clients are killed. And new clients are created
with the "customized" proportions. Which even differ for `tiled' and
`Mirror tiled' modes! (The number of clients per master pane is also
remembered.)

But the next time I enter my X session, the ratio is 1:2. :) All
runtime customizations are gone. This is not the case with ion3.

> The correct way to handle it is to support session manager
> integration:  on exit, save the serialized layout in the session
> manager as a -layout option; the session manager will then restart
> xmonad with the specified options, at the same time that it restores
> the other programs in the session so that all the windows in the
> layout are (hopefully) also recreated.  But then xmonad needs to know
> to hold on to it until it at least has the windows explicitly
> mentioned... and, does -layout work by windowid, or by class/name/
> role?  windowid is a nonstarter across X11 server instances/
> instantiations.

Could you tell me, where to read about this `-layout' option? Does it
relate to gdm?

And I don't actually care about where my xterm goes at startup. I just
hate my daily routine of tuning emacs 80 characters wide. :)

> > 3) Can I define a key binding like, say, `Win-k 1'?
>
> See XMonadContrib/SubMap.hs.

Thanks a lot.

--
vvv