[Xmonad] dynamic workspaces, session restore

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 16 10:11:08 EDT 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:22 , Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:

> 2) When xmonad quits, it forgets layout settings -- number of windows
>    in master pane, current tiling algorithm, focused window,
>    master/subordinate ratio, etc. Doesn't it?
>
>    We could save this information to `~/.xmonad' file and read it at
>    next startup.

This is kinda tricky if the windows in question don't exist at
startup, no?

The correct way to handle it is to support session manager
integration:  on exit, save the serialized layout in the session
manager as a -layout option; the session manager will then restart
xmonad with the specified options, at the same time that it restores
the other programs in the session so that all the windows in the
layout are (hopefully) also recreated.  But then xmonad needs to know
to hold on to it until it at least has the windows explicitly
mentioned... and, does -layout work by windowid, or by class/name/
role?  windowid is a nonstarter across X11 server instances/
instantiations.

> 3) Can I define a key binding like, say, `Win-k 1'?

See XMonadContrib/SubMap.hs.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu