[xmonad] darcs patch: hide existential Layout (mostly) from user API.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Nov 12 12:17:34 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:05:44PM -0500, Devin Mullins wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 06:41:35AM -0800, David Roundy wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 03:14:51PM -0500, Devin Mullins wrote:
> > > Another might be WindowNavigation, which could add the layout hook and
> > > default keybindings at the same time.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Interesting idea...  but I'm not sure that folks use the default
> > keybindings.  Do they?
>
> Yeah, good point, I use WASD. I suppose it could take
> (up,left,down,right) as a parameter.

Yeah, but then what about the modifier keys? Perhaps we could have several
functions to do this, but soon it starts getting rather hairy, and maybe
it'd just be easier for users to do on their own.

Also, note that users can copy one of the provided configs to get some sort
of "reasonable" default keybindings as a starting point.  (Mine are a
little crazy, though...)

> > I really wish we had a popularity-contest sort of module to allow users to
> > automatically vote for their prefered layouts/keybindings/etc.
>
> Interesting... I mean, I suppose encouraging people to post their
> configs on the wiki is a start. You're talking a contrib that xmessages
> you if you'd like to post your config, and if so, does it for you? Or
> you could just set up a web survey... or just ask the list. ;)

I'm thinking more like a config that sends email to a fixed email address
indicating what your config is.  Obviously not installed by default, but
for those who would like their configs to be considered in development
decisions.  Probably with no privacy at all, just because it's easiest.

Ideally, this would be done with some sort of automated tracking of
statistics, so we could easily see what fraction of (voting) users use
Tabbed, NoBorders, SmartBorders, etc.

But it's definitely not worth my time to write this... and may not be worth
anyone's time.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics