-- Re: [Xmonad] Changes in the dev branch: xmonad can now be configured without recompiling the src!

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Nov 7 18:27:43 EST 2007

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 11:56:30AM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> > Other documentation is likely to be out of date. If people have
> > suggestions on how best to migrate users from the old to the new
> > configuration system, I'd love to hear it.
> As a reminder, to myself primarily, I think this should be the next
> priority before the 0.5 release. At a first sight this seems not very
> simple.
> Probably we should have some kind of a guidelines in order to have
> some kind of uniformity. Tomorrow I'll try to think a bit about it.
> And I join Don in asking for advice and suggestions.

So the general rule is that your old config file goes into
~/.xmonad/xmoand.hs, you lift the top level bindings into a XConfig
structure, and set:

    main = xmonad myconf

where myconf is your XConfig structure.

Its actually a lot simpler to rewrite, just selectively updating
defaults you want to change. Leading to, e.g.:

    main = xmonad $ defaultConfig {
                            borderWith = 4

So to start this process off, we've got some 0.4 and 0.5 configs side by
side on the wiki.

Also nice, is now you can run arbitrary actions before xmonad runs,
meaning all your .xinitrc and run-xmonad scripts can be moved into
xmonad's config file.

For example, no more dzen mucking around. You just:

    main = dzen xmonad

to run default xmonad with a dzen logging status bar.

Its all good. :)