[Xmonad] sticky windows?

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Wed May 23 23:09:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:46:37 -0700
David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there now any reason why we can't have sticky windows? I'd love to
> be able to show the same xclock on every workspace, instead of having
> to start N xclocks.  Actually, I'd like something akin to dwm's
> tagging, I believe (although I've never used it).  I want something
> like "copy this window to that workspace."  Is there any reason this
> would be tricky? Or undesirable? I have no idea how it'd interact
> with Xinerama, since two visible workspaces could then both contain
> the same window.

Potential issues with multi-workspace windows in the current StackSet:
 - functions like findIndex and delete assume a window is on only one
workspace.  You'll have trouble after the window closes.  We could
probably change this behavior.

 - multi-screen: when trying to view a window on two screens, the
window will only be visible on the last screen rendered.  There will be
a gap in one screen, but perhaps that's not a big deal?

 - insert will refuse to add a duplicate window.  I'm convinced this is
the right behavior by default -- multi-tagging should be a separate
function.

If we change the delete behavior, I think we can do this in
XMonadContrib.  What do you think?

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen