[Xmonad] trouble with xmonad on OS X

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Thu Jun 28 10:29:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:54:33 -0400
"Ben Weaver" <weaver at coptix.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed xmonad on OS X, but I'm having trouble running it.
>  When I start X11 and type "xmonad" into the terminal this error is
> returned:
>
>    xmonad: fatal error: request code=2, error code=10
>    Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

X11.app starts a window manager when it launches -- there can only be
one active window manager at a time.  You'll need to create a .xinitrc
in $HOME to launch xmonad.

Copy the default xinitrc to your home folder:
$ cp /private/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

Then replace the last line, "exec quartz-wm", with "xmonad".

Let us know how this works.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen