[Xmonad] Announce: xmobar-0.1 released!

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Jun 22 10:02:32 EDT 2007

Hi!

Sorry if I didn't keep the promise of refactoring Tabbed.hs, but I've
been quite busy. I'll do it, though.

Moreover, I wrote this stuff, a real status bar, inspired by the Ion3
one. I sent a mail about it a couple of days ago, as a challenge to
Robert to rewrite dzen2 in Haskell... No answer, so there I am.

Well, XMobar, I called it this way, is not going, I hope, to compete
with dzen, since it is designed to work only with a configuration
file (see xmobar.config-example). No piping and stuff. Moreover, it is
just a status bar (should work with any WM).

Screenshots:
with xmobar.config-sample
http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmobar-config-sample.jpg

another one (text align to left):
http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmobar-2.jpg

I forgot to take the default screenshot (when you run xmobar without
config). Well, just find out. Grabit and run: xmobar

You can grab the source of this release here:
http://gorgias.mine.nu/xmobar/xmobar-0.1.tar.gz

Darcs repo here:
http://gorgias.mine.nu/repos/xmobar/

Documentation is absent. Anyway, there is a template to set the output:
<command> will cause xmobar to run the command and display the output.
<fc=#FF0000>text</fc> will make "text" red.

See in Monitors/ some examples of monitors that can take advantage of
that (they are built during the installation process, as xmb-net,
xmb-cpu, xmb-mem). The configuration sample xmobar.config-sample uses
them.

Below the README.

It all started by trying to understand how to use Xlib with Haskell.
Hope you'll enjoy. I did. Studying Haskell is indeed a joy.

I hope the name XMobar is not a problem (confusion with xmonad): let
me know, I can change it.

Ciao
Andrea

------------(  README  )-----------

XMobar - a status bar for the XMonad Window Manager

ABOUT
-----

Xmobar is a minimal status bar for the XMonad Window Manager.

It was inspired by the Ion3 status bar, and supports similar features.
See xmobar.config-sample for a sample configuration.

Try it with:
xmobar xmobar.config-sample

INSTALLATION
------------

tar xvfz xmobar-0.1
runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=/usr/local
runhaskell Setup.lhs build
runhaskell Setup.lhs haddock (optional for building the code documentation)
runhaskell Setup.lhs install (possibly to be run as root)

Run with:
xmobar /path/to/config $

AUTHOR
------