[Xmonad] Howtos wanted: Configuring xmonad with display managers

Daniel Wagner wagnerd at stanford.edu
Sat Jun 2 19:22:58 EDT 2007

Jason Creighton wrote:
> Is anybody running [xgk]dm with xmonad? If so, how? Please post your
> answer here, stating what distro you're running (is anybody running

I'm running xmonad under gdm in Ubuntu Dapper.  All I had to do was
create an extra file; the location varies by distribution, but mine had
to go in /usr/share/xsessions:

~% cat /usr/share/xsessions/xmonad.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=This session starts xmonad

Then, when logging in, you can select "xmonad" as a session in the
"Options" menu in the lower-left hand corner of the login screen.