[Xmonad] Re: scripting xmonad externally?

Zed Lopez gmane.xmonad.zed2323 at xoxy.net
Tue Jul 24 01:42:42 EDT 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at ...> writes:
> There's the Command.hs interface in the contrib module, used for some of
> this. At the moment I don't think there's any plan to embed a scripting
> language directly in xmonad: far better to extend Commands.hs to say,
> use ghc-api, to allow arbitrary haskell extension if you want it.

I wasn't referring to an embedded scripting language, but a generic API that
would allow external scripts to communicate with Xmonad, both to read its state
and to issue commands, like ratpoison's and wmii's APIs do. This would open up
scripting in any language. Ease of scripting is what I find to be one of the
attractions of those languages, and it'd be great to be able to script Xmonad in
a language I already know (thought it's also nice to have the excuse to learn
Haskell...)