[Xmonad] xmobar-0.7rc1 testers needed

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Jul 21 08:49:06 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:19:13PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:43:23 Andrea Rossato wrote:
> > BTW, I've been thinking about it, and I do not see any other possible
> > solution for the specific problem of blocking a thread and resuming it
> > in two different cases: an event *or* the elapsed time. You need the
> > real event or another thread that sends a fake event. Am I right?
>
> It is possible, but annoying.  It requires a magic version of nextEvent that
> doesn't block inside foreign calls.  Thankfully, this isn't so hard to write
> with threadWaitRead and XPending.  With this magic nextEvent, we can use
> asynchronous exceptions to interrupt the thread with a timer.  I've sent you
> a patch that implements this.

Hi,

I'm finishing the tutorial I talked about, and when writing the XEvent
part (the last one), I found out that XCopyArea will produce a
NoExpose event. If I sync the output buffer with False (that is to
say, without discarding the events from queue), I can intercept it in
the recursive loop without the need of nextEvent' and asynchronous
exceptions...

Now I'm even more puzzled...
;-)

Andrea