[Xmonad] xmobar-0.7rc1 testers needed

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Wed Jul 18 04:01:27 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:19:13PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> The next step, I think, is to remove the 'refresh' configuration entirely --
> just have plugins throw exceptions to the event/drawing thread whenever they
> update.

Apart from what I've said in my previous message (we need it for unix
commands not configured in the command list), I don't think that
letting the plugins to force window's update is good: I run, for
instance, many monitors at once. If I let each one to force a window
update as soon as its job is done and its MVar updated, I expect to
have such a frequency of window's updates that resource consumption
for window's updating becomes the critical factor.

I tried to write xmobar in such a way that the use of all the
resources that are needed to monitor the system is spread over a
relatively long interval of time, with the hope to mitigate/minimize
the measurement disturbance.

As a downside I cannot assure that the resource consumption is
directly related to each monitor refresh rate. Threads are not
synchronized.

The global refresh rate allows to tune also the window's update time,
which, given the chaotic behaviour of monitors, could be relevant to
the total resource consumption.

I'm not sure if this is clear. And I'm not even sure if this makes
sense...;-)

This is way I'm writing this 3rd replay. But I swear it is the last
one.

Thanks
Andrea