[Xmonad] Bug Reports: changing X keymaps disrupts xmonad keybindings

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Thu Jul 12 11:18:55 EDT 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007 08:09:43 Robert Marlow wrote:
> G'day. Just a quick bug report:
>
> Changing X keymaps between, say, dvorak and us, using setxkbmap will often
> (though not always) break xmonad keybindings. I haven't been able to
> discern any pattern with when it will break the bindings and when it
> won't.
>
> Getting keybingings to work again is as simple as using setxkbmap over and
> over until the keybindings work again. ie setkbmap will break the
> bindings, but it will also fix them when they're broken.

Yeah, there's something funny with our handling of MappingNotifyEvent and
refreshKeyboardMapping.  I haven't had time to look at this yet (and would
appreciate help in this area!).

> Another bug report (though one which has probably been noticed by someone
> else): killing xmonad and restarting it seems to lose management of all
> windows that are not being managed by workspaces currently visible on any
> screens.

This should be fixed in the latest xmonad, make sure you've got this patch:
Fri Jun 29 21:10:26 CDT 2007  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
  * UPGRADE X11-Extras!  Manage iconified windows

Also, upgrade X11-extras.  This patch is key:
Fri Jun 29 20:58:31 CDT 2007  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
  * changeProperty*: don't call fromIntegral, that just casts to bytes

Before the 'changeProperty' fix, xmonad would set garbage values for WM_STATE,
which is used to identify iconified windows.  Because of the WM_STATE
corruption, a simple mod-q restart won't be enough -- you'll have to restart
your X server.  Please let us know whether this works for you.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen