[Xmonad] Re: xmonad crashing

Andy Gimblett A.M.Gimblett at swansea.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 05:39:44 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 08:11:02PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> >>  Indeed, further testing indicates that it only occurs when I am
> >>  using the Tabbed layout.
>
> I think it's the same here, but I'm not exactly sure.

I'd like to add my voice and report that I've been experiencing
intermittent crashing too, as of the last few days (perhaps since the
weekend?).  I'll investigate further later and try to pin it down a
bit more but roughly:

  - ghc 6.6, latest everything from darcs

  - Tabbed layout

  - xdm not gdm

  - gajim and jpilot both seem particularly keen culprits.
    Often/sometimes when closing a window belonging to either of these
    apps using Shift-Mod-C I get kicked out.  I might only be seeing
    it with these apps because in other apps (eg xterm), I tend not to
    close/kill the window from xmonad, but rather exit the app from
    within itself (eg Ctrl-D in an xterm, File/Quit in Firefox, etc.);
    it does _seem_ to be related to killing from xmonad.

  - .xsession-errors contains similar errors to those reported just
    earlier ("such-and-such app lost connection to X server", though I
    note that "such-and-such app" in these cases is not the one which
    crashed, but other ones which were running - IIRC).

Don't have time to go any deeper right now (and not at the crashing
computer), but will try to find out more later.

Cheers,

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett