[xmonad] gnome-panel not seen as dock?

Joseph Garvin k04jg02 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 14:52:43 EST 2007

I have things working with gnome-panel with only a minor issue (startup
items that have system tray icons take a long time to start).

Are you missing setting a gap? Relevant xmonad.hs parts:

import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks

--For one gnome-panel across top, for usual gnome setup
--use: myDefaultGaps = [(24, 24, 0, 0)]
myDefaultGaps   = [(24,0,0,0)]

myLayout = avoidStruts(tiled ||| Mirror tiled ||| Full)
  where
     -- default tiling algorithm partitions the screen into two panes
     tiled   = Tall nmaster delta ratio
     -- The default number of windows in the master pane
     nmaster = 1
     -- Default proportion of screen occupied by master pane
     ratio   = 1/2
     -- Percent of screen to increment by when resizing panes
     delta   = 3/100

Also, how are you getting xmonad to launch in place of metacity? I have this
in my ~/.gnomerc:

 export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/xmonad