[xmonad] darcs patch: Add ShowWName a layout modifier to show the workspace...

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sun Dec 30 17:28:47 EST 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 04:57:47PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> We could fork a process that waits one second and then uses XSendEvent() to
> send a message to the other, and then exits.  This seems reasonably
> elegant.  It avoids the need for an external binary, it's moderately
> efficient (probably more so than execing a new binary), and we could even
> encapsulate it in a simple function.

The problem is that the forked thread will be blocked too as long as
the main thread is blocked by XNextEvent.

In xmobar Spencer came up with a version of XNextEvent that doesn't
block in a foreign call, so that it can be interrupted by an
asynchronous exception. This is not going to be feasible in xmonad,
unfortunately.

Andrea