[xmonad] darcs patch: Add ShowWName a layout modifier to show the workspace...

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sun Dec 30 16:57:47 EST 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 04:36:49PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 02:29:27PM +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 01:52:48PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> > > We'd definitely want to figure out a way to get a timer event into
> > > xmonad.
> >
> > yes, something like this would be great. I don't know is the X server
> > can do that. I need to investigate (but I have the feeling the answer
> > is no).
>
> I can't help but think that there must be an elegant solution.  :(

Here's an idea that's at least self-contained:

We could fork a process that waits one second and then uses XSendEvent() to
send a message to the other, and then exits.  This seems reasonably
elegant.  It avoids the need for an external binary, it's moderately
efficient (probably more so than execing a new binary), and we could even
encapsulate it in a simple function.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics