[xmonad] xmonad user survey!

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:24:56 EST 2007

On 2007.12.24 13:28:01 +0200, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> scribbled 1.5K characters:
> * gwern0 at gmail.com <gwern0 at gmail.com> [2007-12-24 01:20:26-0500]
> > One thing I'd like improved is tab-completion. As it is, to edit my
> > ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs is currently a bit of a pain.
>
> I understand you. But won't just creating shell alias or Vim/Emacs macro
> be easier?
> I even have the following in my config:
>     , ((mod1Mask, xK_c     ), spawn "gvim ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs")
> If you edit your config so often, then it will be easy to remember.
> If not, then typing a few extra characters should not be a problem.
>
> --
> Roman I. Cheplyaka

No, not really. Yes, I could sort of fix it when a binding in XMonad or a shell alias/function, but those would only help within that application. They wouldn't work in another application, wouldn't work anywhere else, might not work at all (how would I even do that in Emacs? Add some sort of special completion filter hook? Hardwire it in as a key-bound defun?) and so on.

So in short, fixing the problem on my end is tedious, unreliable, and surely incomplete. While writing a quick patch to XMonad (I think for all my renaming patches and emails, I've spent about an hour or so) means that I'll never have to worry about it again, and nobody else will either. Since I *can* write the patches, I find the second alternative much more palatable.

--
gwern
NSY SBS Atlas government Choe b Macintosh Austin Cornflower KY-75