[xmonad] xmonad user survey!

aylwarlt at email.uc.edu aylwarlt at email.uc.edu
Sun Dec 23 02:53:26 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 09:47:34PM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> xmonad's reaching a fairly stable place featurewise (and stability-wise too).
>
> Now is perhaps a good time to ask people what we can do to improve
> xmonad further.
>
>     * What things annoy you?

I am not very familiar with haskell so even simple edits to the config file
can be confusing. Maybe a simpler format with the ability to embed
haskell code where needed would be easier.

>     * What things do you like?

Everything else :)

>     * What things can be done better?

I already mentioned it above, but I think the config could be more user
friendly.

>     * What things are missing?

It would be great to able to arbitrarily resize any window, not just the
master area. The whole Master area thing seems pretty integral to xmonad,
though, so I don't really expect this to happen.

>     * What things do you     miss from ion/wmii/dwm/compiz

I miss the ability to have multiple tabs in any window. I understand this is
possible with Layout.Combo, but I haven't had time to try to set it up.

Basically, I would like to be able to easily create a window layout like this:
http://manimal.prettybrd.com/~leedo/iondesktop.png

>     * What things do you not miss from ion/wmii/dwm/compiz ... :)

Unfriendly developers!

I am not really able to keep up with the mailing list as much as I would
like, so it is very well possible much of what I mentioned is already
possible. If that is the case, then you all rock even more than I thought.

--
Lee