[xmonad] Stuck inside a window - this happen to anyone else?

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:23:34 EST 2007

This is just a complete shot-in-the-dark bug report, to see if anyone
else has experienced similar symptoms. I don't imply that the
following problem has anything to do with xmonad, though it would seem
the prime suspect.

Earlier today I was working in Firefox with a bunch of other windows
open on screen, a bunch of other workspaces populated too. FF was
working fine, but everything I tried to do *outside* of the browser
didn't work. I couldn't mouse over other windows to give them focus. I
couldn't switch to other workspaces. I couldn't move the focussed
window around with mod-shift-j/k or choose a new master.

I couldn't mod-q to restart, though I managed to switch to another
virtual terminal and back (ctrl-alt-Fn) so the keyboard seems to have
been responsive. If I'd been thinking at the time I would have tried
to open another window from within Firefox to see what it would do. In
the end I killed xmonad from the other VT and it all worked out fine.

Has this ever happened to you? And secondarily, is there a way to
mod-q Xmonad through a kill sig? Does it recognise SIGHUP?

Cheers,

D.

--
Dougal Stanton