[xmonad] Issue 96 in xmonad: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 13 14:54:05 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:53:48PM -0700, Jason Creighton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 08:12:35PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 05:35:16PM -0800, codesite-noreply at google.com wrote:
> > > This gets us in trouble with Gnucash, which, for some reason, sends, one
> > > after the
> > > other, a MapRequest, a synthetic UnmapNotify and then another MapRequest.
> >
> > I've said this before, but it bears repeating: this looks an awful lot
> > like Gnucash is doing something wrong. Why would some dialogs but not
> > others generate this behavior? It must be something internal to
> > gnucash that is broken or at least odd. GNucash only fairly recently
> > completed the transtion to gtk2.0 and it's likely that some problems
> > exist.
>
> Well, it's odd that Gnucash does that, but I don't think it's broken:
> Mapping, unmapping and then remapping a window *should* leave it
> visible, and the fact that it didn't in xmonad was a bug, which we
> fixed.

fair enough.

> Seriously, it's probably not worth it: Even you if you find what looks
> like a problem, you'll have to do a lot of research and testing to
> figure out if that's actually the case, then you have to convince the
> Gnucash devs to accept a patch, blah blah blah work work work.

I have commit access. It's a part of gnucash I've never touched, so I'd
go through the process of getting someone with more experience to
review it, but that's not really a big deal. It does affect other WM's
as well...

> But your offer to look at the Gnucash source code got me curious, so I
> downloaded the source for 2.2.1, followed the chain of calls down until
> I found this in the middle of gnc_search_dialog_init_widgets in
> src/gnome-search/dialog-search.c:
>
>         /* show it all */
>         gtk_widget_show_all (sw->dialog);
>
>         /* hide the dialog */
>         gtk_widget_hide (sw->dialog);
>
> What that says to me is this: They have some reason for doing what
> they're doing and it's probably not a simple fix to do it a different
> way. If I attempt to figure out why, or attempt to figure out a
> different way to do it, I'll get sucked into a bunch of discussion,
> research, coding and testing that I don't really want to do.

Wow! Nice pointer. thanks!

> We've done everything we can on the xmonad end, and it works fine. (For
> me, anyway. Unless you're seeing some additional problems?) I'm not
> going to lose any sleep over it.

thanks for that. I'm not seeing additional problems, but I'm also
waiting (check apt-cache) on debian packages with the fix. And no lost
sleep here... ;)