[xmonad] Tabbed Layout

Jamie Webb j at jwebb.sygneca.com
Wed Dec 12 12:05:03 EST 2007

On 2007-12-12 18:31:35 Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
> > The second one:
> > Is there a possibility to add the tabbed-layout not to the whole
> > workspace to maintain the tiled-layout and add the tabs to each of
> > the small windows. More like ion (:/) does it. Does anybody
> > understand what Im thinking about?
>
> I don't. Could you clarify a bit? (With screenshots?:)

http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/screenshots/ion3-1.png

Ignore the overlapping in that shot, but notice that there are three
panes, each with a bunch of tabs. I think this can kind-of be achieved
in XMonad using Combo or LayoutScreens, but these are very inflexible in
comparison as they require a recompile to change the number of panes.

I agree this would be a nice feature to have, and I believe there's
no reason in principle why one couldn't write a general nesting layout
combinator. David said a few days ago that the main trouble is XMonad's
linear representation of the window stack.

Maybe this could be changed for 0.6? :-)

/J