[xmonad] xemacs and xmonad

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 08:59:57 EST 2007

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the wonderfull 0.5 release! The automatic
building of '~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs' is a very time saving feature! Al
dough modmask-q doesn't work for me but I will save that for another
thread.

Now my problem. I'm recently doing some Epigram programming and you
need xemacs for that. The problem is that when xmonad is setting the
size of the xemacs window, the xemacs process goes to 100% CPU usage
and the xemacs window begins to flicker a lot and is just unusable.
What probably happens is that when xmonad is setting the window size,
xemacs wants to set it back, then xmonad sets it back, then xemacs set
it back, then xmonad... ad infinitum.

A workaround that I'm currently using is to use the HintedTile layout
instead of the Tall layout. This works wonderfully however when using
other layouts, like Circle, the problem returns.

Is there a way to tell xmonad that it should respect the hints from
xemacs in _every_ layout?

I think I can possibly use the 'manageHook' for this. The problem with
this is that emacs and xemacs have the same className.

Any pointers are appreciated.

regards,

Bas