[xmonad] Issue 98 in xmonad: Conventional configuration strategies

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 16:46:08 EST 2007

Hi --

On 09/12/2007, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106 at columbia.edu> wrote:
> yet-to-be-designed configuration scheme.  And at the mean
> time, full screen mplayer still needs me to move it up and
> left one pixel respectively to achieve _full screen_.

OK, that's not even tangential as it is off-topic.

> I think it largely depends on what you developers think
> which way xmonad is going to follow.  Just look at those
> nearly full powered window managers out there.  You have to
> admit that they all have very complicated configuration file
> syntax.  Let's take an example of FVWM, which is still my
> favourite non-tiled window manager.  Its man page has 9048
> lines to educate people how the configuration file could be
> written, and that still not includes all other separate
> modules.

Given I'm an expert at FVWM, I can tell you it's power is not about
config files as it is more about the sheer number options it has.
The two aren't even comparable here.

> Do you want users of xmonad to learn another
> strange configuration syntax?  On the contrary, please look

Strange?  No?  Enforced?  No.  There would be nothing stopping you
from writing out the best haskell you could muster as an xmonad config
file; it's just in many people's eyes enforcing a -language- onto
people is a tall order, and yes, there is a huge difference between a
config file and a language.

-- Thomas Adam