[Xmonad] Switching away from and back to a tabbed workspace

Dave Harrison dave at nullcube.com
Wed Aug 29 06:37:59 EDT 2007

David Roundy wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:44:35AM +1000, Dave Harrison wrote:
>> David Roundy wrote:

>>> I don't see this (obviously), and more detail is needed in order to make a
>>> guess as to how to reproduce it.  How many screens do you have? If you use
>>> only one screen, does this show up? My best guess (given no information) is
>>> that this is a xinerama-related bug, since I only have one screen.  But
>>> I'll definitely need more details if I'm to figure out what's going wrong.
>>> A screenshot might also be helpful.
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I have two screens using Xinerama, since the second screen is the
>> output adapter on my laptop I can't really turn it off so I can't
>> speak for a single headed environment.
>>
>> I don't think a screenshot would help much, frequently I "see" the
>> previous tab, but my input is going to the "active" tab.  I have to
>> cycle the tabs to get things back the way they should be.
>>
>> Any debug output etc I can provide ??
>
> Hmmm.  I don't know.  Perhaps another developer, who has two screens could
> try to reproduce this? If you can give a specific sequence to trigger the
> bug, that would be great.  e.g. if you could post a (preferably simple)
> Config.hs file, and directions such as:
>
> start up xmonad
> hit <insert key combo here> to bring up an xterm twice (so tabs are visible)
> switch to other head with mod-w
>
> This might even allow me to track this down using brain-power alone.

Hi David,

A repeatable way I can make it misbehave is to,

- Switch to an empty workspace
- Open a firefox, an xterm, and an xterm of another color
  [ Put some stuff in each of those windows ]
- Now switch to be on the "primary" window for the workspace
- Now switch to another workspace that has something in it
- Now switch back to the first workspace

Hopefully you should now see "window pollution".  Interestingly, this
_only_ seems to happen to me (or at least just now as I was testing
this) when I leave that workspace with focus on the primary window.

The changed (ie. relevant) parts of my Config.hs are below.

Cheers
Dave

---

% diff OrigConfig.hs Config.hs
31a32,35
> import XMonadContrib.Tabbed
> import XMonadContrib.DynamicLog
> import XMonadContrib.Dmenu

89c93
< defaultLayouts = [ tiled , mirror tiled , full ]
---
> defaultLayouts = [ tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf, tiled , mirror
tiled , full ]
110c114
< logHook = return ()
---
> logHook = dynamicLogXinerama
121,122c125,126
<     [ ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_Return), spawn "xterm") -- @@
Launch an xterm
<     , ((modMask,               xK_p     ), spawn "exe=`dmenu_path |
dmenu` && eval \"exec $exe\"") -- @@ Launch dmenu
---
\"xft:Monospace:pixelsize=15\" -sr") -- @@ Launch an xterm
>     , ((modMask,               xK_p     ), spawn "exe=`cat
/home/dave/.dmenulist | dmenu -b -p \"$\"` && eval \"exec $exe\"") --
@@ Launch dmenu
131a136
>     , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_Tab   ), focusUp) -- @@ Move focus
to the previous window
141,142c146,147
<     , ((modMask,               xK_h     ), sendMessage Shrink) -- @@
Shrink the master area
<     , ((modMask,               xK_l     ), sendMessage Expand) -- @@
Expand the master area
---
>     , ((modMask,               xK_Left     ), sendMessage Shrink) --
@@ Shrink the master area
>     , ((modMask,               xK_Right    ), sendMessage Expand) --
@@ Expand the master area
168c173
<         | (key, sc) <- zip [xK_w, xK_e, xK_r] [0..]
---