[Xmonad] Switching away from and back to a tabbed workspace

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:57:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:44:35AM +1000, Dave Harrison wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 09:42:05AM +1000, Dave Harrison wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this or not, but what I'm seeing
> >> when I have a tabbed workspace, is that if I have >1 tab in the
> >> workspace and I switch to another workspace that requires my current
> >> workspace be hidden (so not resulting in a swap of two visual
> >> workspaces), and then switch back to it, the visual presentation of
> >> the tabs is some strange munge of the tab I had selected, and the tab
> >> that had been viewing before I chose the currently selected one.
> >
> > I don't see this (obviously), and more detail is needed in order to make a
> > guess as to how to reproduce it.  How many screens do you have? If you use
> > only one screen, does this show up? My best guess (given no information) is
> > that this is a xinerama-related bug, since I only have one screen.  But
> > I'll definitely need more details if I'm to figure out what's going wrong.
> > A screenshot might also be helpful.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I have two screens using Xinerama, since the second screen is the
> output adapter on my laptop I can't really turn it off so I can't
> speak for a single headed environment.
>
> I don't think a screenshot would help much, frequently I "see" the
> previous tab, but my input is going to the "active" tab.  I have to
> cycle the tabs to get things back the way they should be.
>
> Any debug output etc I can provide ??

Hmmm.  I don't know.  Perhaps another developer, who has two screens could
try to reproduce this? If you can give a specific sequence to trigger the
bug, that would be great.  e.g. if you could post a (preferably simple)
Config.hs file, and directions such as:

start up xmonad
hit <insert key combo here> to bring up an xterm twice (so tabs are visible)
switch to other head with mod-w

This might even allow me to track this down using brain-power alone.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net