[Xmonad] darcs patch: fix bug leading to early exit in XPrompt.

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:08:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:31:01AM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:01:12PM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > I think perhaps this bug only manifests itself when working with tabbed.
>
> I started yesterday to chase that bug (I didn't notice before): the
> problem shows up only when tabs are visible and the completions list
> hides them. When the completion list get destroyed the generated
> Expose events will be incorrectly handled by XPrompt, that will exit
> the event loop and silently terminate any further action. (I'm
> explaining just to let others reproduce it).

Ah, that explains why it only showed up on my laptop (which has a small
screen, but is configured to use a moderately large font... plus through
Combo, I usually have tabs visible near the bottom of the screen).

> Yesterday I realized that this was going to be quite hard to find, so
> it's a big relief that you've already solved it! Thank you.

You're welcome! Basically, I just used the printf approach, combined with
code review, in which I just searched for cases where eventLoop might have
exited early.  There's got to be a better idiom for writing an event loop.
(so that exiting the loop is done explicitly, rather than
implicitly... which would make it harder to exit the loop accidentally.)
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net