[Xmonad] 'rules' like in dwm

Karl. kmw1 at free.net.nz
Mon Aug 27 16:20:37 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm currently using dwm, and considering switching to Xmonad.  I've been
trying to figure out whether Xmonad supports the features that are
important to me.  The one I haven't been able to figure out for certain
is:

Does Xmonad support defining rules as to which workspace a new window
will appear in?

Under dwm I use specific workspaces for specific things - my web browser
always goes on the same workspace, regardless of where I am when I
launch it.  I have some rules defined in my dwm config that specify
this.  This consistency is one of the essential things that I like about
dwm.

Another approach, instead of rules defining workspace based on client
properties, would be if it is possible for a keybinding to specify where
a client should go when it is launched
eg.  Ctrl-Alt-B = launch browser and make it go to workspace 'web'

As far as I can tell so far, under Xmonad, new windows will just appear
in the current workspace.

thanks,
Karl.