[Xmonad] darcs patch: switch WorkspaceId to String.

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:36:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 02:01:22PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:44:47AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> > I don't know what folks will think of this, but I'd rather have WorkspaceId
> > be a String.  Then we don't need to worry about associating Strings with
> > workspaces, and everything's pretty.
> I'll have to rewrite for the 3rd time my function to have mod-, and
> mod-. the ion way, but that's ok...;-)

These cycle through the workspaces? Shouldn't it work just the same? And
perhaps you'd care to add it to XMonadContrib?

> > -workspaces = [0..8]
> > +workspaces = map (:"") ['1'..'9']
> I find this a bit scary for someone new to Haskell, considered it is
> in the Config file. Anyway I'd suggest (:[]), still very scary, but
> probably more helpful to my ideal newcomer who's getting started with
> Haskell.

Yeah, I wish this were prettier.  We could also use

workspaces = ["1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"]

which would make it perfectly obvious to non-haskellers how to edit the
workspace names.  I think might actually be ideal.  The whole point of this
change would be to allow users to name workspaces like "email", "web", etc
if they wish.
David Roundy