[Xmonad] xmonad noob greetings

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Aug 9 12:04:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 05:27:12PM +0200, alexandre wrote:
> The only thing i miss, so far, from ion3, is the ability to have
> non-dynamic layouts and the ability to call layouts by name, in order to
> bind them to a key. Some layouts are cool but only for some
> applications. Cycling through rarely used layouts is not convenient.

This is something I've thought about, and I'm sure other developers have
also.  I think in a release or two of xmonad you can anticipate having the
set of layouts available on a given workspace configurable (actually, it
already could be done via an extension in XMonadContrib).

Allowing key bindings directly onto particular layouts would also be a
natural feature to add.  It'd be particularly helpful to easily switch
between fullscreen and back to whatever layout one was previously using.

These should be pretty easy changes to make, but one would like to put in
the right infrastructure so that it will be even easier (and prettier).
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics