[Xmonad] Re: Some windows appear on the wrong head

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 13:46:00 EDT 2007

Kai Grossjohann <kai at emptydomain.de> writes:

[...]

> "My" popup wasn't displayed at 0,0; it was displayed near the center
> (but a little bit east and south of it) of the primary head.
>
> FWIW, if I move the popup to the right workspace (and thus head) once
> manually, then subsequent popups show up on the right head.  (Or do they
> show up in the right workspace?  I didn't try to switch workspaces
> between invoking the popup and the window appearing.)

I'd guess that the program's remembering the position, which would
make lots of sense.

So that's two cases: the program doesn't care, and says (0,0)
                     the program thinks it knows, and says (1487,283) (say)

In the second case I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable for a window
manager to calculate the relative position on the screen and move it
appropriately.  Feels risky but I guess I'm thinking of things like
panels and gkrellm and things, but they're not transient windows
(they're just treated much the same as floating windows).

That leaves a possible class of programs that specify an absolute
position and really mean it.  I can't think of any plausible examples,
but I'd guess it's conceivable.

I've got one application that tries to open a transient in the center
of the screen but doesn't know about Xinerama (so that fails on my
2-screen setup).  So maybe the second case above (where the
application specifies a position) could look to see if the requested
window would be overlapping two screens, and if so could move it?