[Xmonad] Re: Switching focus without pulling hidden windows into the foreground

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Aug 1 16:25:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:19:15PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:
> Hi David,
> >> Is it possible to switch focus only between visible windows without
> >> pulling hidden ones into the foreground?
> >
> > It'd be an easy extension to write, but imagine it would be specific
> > to the TwoPane layout, since I don't see how this could be implemented
> > using the actual property of "switch focus between visible" windows.
> Currently the TwoPane layout is the only layout that has hidden windows
> and multiple visible windows, so it wouldn't be a too big problem if it
> was specific to that layout.

Combo can also have this effect, particularly when combining with TwoPane.
And Square behaves the same way.

> > Instead it'd be "switch focus between the first two windows".
> So xmonad doesn't know what windows are visible and which one are
> hidden?

It'd have to re-display them, I believe.  I don't know, maybe there is a
way to find out.  If so, it'd require some trickiness.  Such trickiness,
however, wouldn't work with Combo+TwoPane+Tabbed, since Tabbed hides
windows by moving them to the back of the stack (i.e. so they are behind
the focussed window), rather than by actually making them not visible.
David Roundy
Department of Physics
Oregon State University