[Xmonad] Re: Switching focus without pulling hidden windows into the foreground

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Aug 1 16:25:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:19:15PM +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:
>
> Hi David,
>
> >> Is it possible to switch focus only between visible windows without
> >> pulling hidden ones into the foreground?
> >
> > It'd be an easy extension to write, but imagine it would be specific
> > to the TwoPane layout, since I don't see how this could be implemented
> > using the actual property of "switch focus between visible" windows.
>
> Currently the TwoPane layout is the only layout that has hidden windows
> and multiple visible windows, so it wouldn't be a too big problem if it
> was specific to that layout.

Combo can also have this effect, particularly when combining with TwoPane.
And Square behaves the same way.

> > Instead it'd be "switch focus between the first two windows".
>
> So xmonad doesn't know what windows are visible and which one are
> hidden?

It'd have to re-display them, I believe.  I don't know, maybe there is a
way to find out.  If so, it'd require some trickiness.  Such trickiness,
however, wouldn't work with Combo+TwoPane+Tabbed, since Tabbed hides
windows by moving them to the back of the stack (i.e. so they are behind
the focussed window), rather than by actually making them not visible.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics