[Xmonad] Ideas on configuring workspaces?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Fri Apr 27 20:24:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 05:07:41PM -0700, Dale Jordan wrote:
> Firstly, thanks for the tips on getting XM working on FreeBSD.  I got it
> working after upgrading to FreeBSD 6.2 (required to build GHC 6.6) and
> getting Cabal from darcs.  Finally a window manager a non-X-guru can
> (mostly) understand.
>
> I have been looking at having XM configure my workspaces, rather than
> doing it manually after prelaunching apps in .xinitrc or launching them
> from the keyboard.  However, I don't have a clue how to correlate the
> app's windowID, when they decide to map themselves, with any data
> structures I might build in Config.hs.  Does anyone have any clues about
> what info is available through X that might help?

Currently, Xmonad doesn't even look at a lot of the X values (window
title, for instance), so a lot of the things you want are not yet
bound.  If you are comfortable with X11 programming, add a wrapper for
XGetWindowProperty; then query the WM_CLASS property (use the xprop
program to find the values programs use).

Stefan