[Xmonad] darcs patch: a hypothetical layout approach.

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Apr 15 19:02:08 EDT 2007

droundy:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's my sketch of how we might make layouts configurable.  It defines a
> rather silly layout, bound to mod-shift-space.  I'm not totally happy with
> this option, as custom layouts are left out of the cycling with mod-return,

Ah right. Yes, that's something we'll want to address.

> and I suspect some sort of a Data.Map.Map from (a modified) Layout to
> layout functions would be better, so that "builtin" layouts could be
> treated on a more equal footing with "custom" layouts.

Firstly, we have to hold off on this till the release, 0.1, later tihs
week. But I'd be interested in working out how to expose enough from
Operations.hs so that people can write any replacements they like for
core functions in their own Config.hs.

Candidates would be custom layout algos, and new window hacking
functions.

This seems doable, I think, without comprising the minimal core of
xmonad. If anything, it'll clean up the api.

-- Don