[Xmonad] how to install?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Apr 14 10:09:57 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 06:04:46PM -0600, Jason Creighton wrote:
> I poked around the cabal docs for a bit, and I didn't see any obvious
> way to get cabal to check for the presence of certain headers. Also, if
> the headers weren't there, we couldn't really do anything anyway, other
> than fail with a friendlier error.

Argh! That seems crazy.  How can cabal not have support for looking for
libraries? It's not so hard to write, but this seems like it'd be
critical--certainly it'll be critical if we're going to use cabal for darcs
(as Eric is in the process of doing).

> I wonder if the Xinerama module should be a separate package anyway.
> What do you guys think about that?

It could be, but then we'd still depend on the module, unless cabal
supports optional package dependencies.  I'd rather have a compile-time
check whether xinerama is present, and preferably if it's not present then
we should emit a warning (WARNING: compiling without xinerama support!!!)
and compile an X11-extras with the same API, but which assumes just one
screen.  It doesn't seem like it should be that hard, and reducing the
number of libraries required would definitely be a Good Thing.  Most people
don't actually have two monitors.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net