[Xmonad] Dynamically reloading Config

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Fri Apr 13 08:26:11 EDT 2007

Bas van Dijk on 2007-04-13 13:03:20 +0200:

>  In a previous thread dons mentioned mod-ctrl-shift-q which calls
>  'restart' which exec()s itself. However when I do that xmonad closes
>  and I'm back at my xdm prompt.
>
>  Maybe that has to do with my ~/.xsession:
>
>  #!/bin/bash
>  xsetroot -gray                        &
>  Esetroot ~/pictures/lastlight1280.jpg &
>  firefox http://mail.google.com/mail &
>  /home/bas/bin/xmonad

It sounds like /home/bas/bin is not in your $PATH.  The restart key
calls 'xmonad', not the same file that was originally executed.

The default shell on my system is not bash, so .xsession doesn't pick up
my local paths (sourced out of ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc).  I have
something like this at the end of my ~/.xsession:

exec bash -l -c 'xmonad'