No subject

Fri Sep 2 19:57:00 CEST 2011

a request, that's the application's prerogative. I understand that in
the CGI case, you want to prevent something like that from happening,
but that's beyond Warp's purview. The question is can we expose enough
primitives to make it possible for you to implement this at the
Mighttpd level.

So from that perspective, I'm not sure if 96311d would really be
considered a vulnerability in Warp. Isn't your patch making it
impossible for an application to run in unbounded time? It might make
more sense to add a specific timeout each time the CGI app is called
(possibly via timeout[1]) to ensure it responds appropriately. But if
I'm not mistaken, this isn't even necessary in the CGI case, as the
Response value will be returned by your code and will not be affected
by the response time of the CGI app itself.

Before we make more commits, let's make sure we're on the same page
about what needs to be done, and then make the fewest possible changes
to Warp in order to achieve our goals.

Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/base/4.4.0.0/doc/html/Syste=
m-Timeout.html#v:timeout

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I confirmed that the following patch fixes this vulnerability. Just
> FYI.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/wai/commit/96311d8040b649=
9922934d6eca68f76ea18d1c0e

> --Kazu
>
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Sorry for this late response.
>>
>> I noticed that if an exception handler is set in a Haskell thread, it
>> works even if the thread is killed. So, the settingsPauseForApp
>> approach is enough to me. Michael has alread reverted it but I want it
>> back.
>>
>> Before that, I would like to make sure two things:
>>
>> 1) Would you take a look at "cgiApp'" defined in the following?
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/wai-app-file-cgi/blob/maste=
r/Network/Wai/Application/Classic/CGI.hs