[web-devel] Yesod beginner

anthropornis anthropornis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:23:34 CEST 2011

(I forgot to mention earlier, I'm also new to Haskell, sorta starting
with Yesod first to just get something running, then going on to
learning Haskell, so I can get rid of a PHP CRUD interface for an
existing db.)

I tried cabal install without any flags and it eventually worked.

Initially cabal yielded this error:
     HDBC-postgresql-2.2.3.3 failed during the configure step. The
exception was:
     ExitFailure 1
     persistent-postgresql-0.5.0 depends on HDBC-postgresql-2.2.3.3
which failed to install.
     sample-0.0.0 depends on HDBC-postgresql-2.2.3.3 which failed to
install.

Reading further up in the terminal output I saw something mentioned
about one package needing to be installed for server side extensions, or
libpq-dev needing to be installed for client side applications.

I took a chance that libpq-dev would be the right choice and installed
it, then ran cabal install again, and this time it worked, and I was
able to launch the dev server.

Viewing the page in my web browser I attempted to add an email login,
but nothing happened. Switching back to the terminal it said sendmail
needed to be installed. After installing sendmail I was able to create a
login.

I had one question about sendmail. I noted somewhere else in your docs
that I could possibly do something like Adobe AIR (?) and make an
executable with Webkit in it as an offline version of the web app (which
would be really cool, by the way).  I wasn't sure, if I put that
executable on someone's Windows machine, is sendmail available for
Windows or can the email pieces be switched with something other than
sendmail if needed?

Thanks again