[web-devel] Yesod performance

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Apr 15 11:56:53 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Aur Saraf <sonoflilit at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, the nice people at #haskell (specifically it was <sm>, but
> there were many other helpful people there like <ksf> and others whose
> names I won't remember) made me swtich from fastcgi to warp. I didn't
> think it would be relevant, since my performance problems were all
> memory-consumption-related, but it turned out to speed my code by
> orders of magnitude. Everybody switch to warp! :-)
>
> Intriguing. I'm writing the 0.8 migration guide now, and I'm putting in a
comment about moving to Warp.

> Second, I've been thinking about the performance bounds of a Yesod
> app. As in, given an app that has no leaks etc', where can I expect it
> to perform better than imperative languages I'm familiar with, where
> can I expect it to perform worse?
>
> The biggest limits imposed by Yesod that I thought about were:
>
> * [Char] - not in Yesod 0.8
> * Persistent always takes a full row - shouldn't matter much in
> practice, especially if persistent is lazy and doesn't parse columns I
> don't care about

Actually, Persistent is *not* lazy in this regard. The idea is to avoid any
kind of errors in pure code: if you get a record from Persistent, you know
that it's valid. As I've said in the past: if anyone is really suffering
badly from this aspect of Persistent, they can always drop down to raw SQL
for the queries in question.

> * No joins in DB - being solved as we speak
> * All page must be generated before it is sent if we plan to use Widgets --
>
> Well, that's not *exactly* the case. Yesod does not provide an easy way to
interleave IO with page responses. The reason for this is that interleaving
IO introduces the possibility of errors, and once a page response has begun
it will be impossible to change the HTTP status code. That's not to say that
we *shouldn't* provide such a mechanism, just that there's a good reason not
to provide it as the default.

I'm open to ideas for this, but my guess is that this will need to wait
until post-1.0.

>  Well, this one is interesting. It seems to be very much against
> Haskell nature, that is so lazy and nice, and I think in my code it
> might actually make performance difference. So I thought -- isn't it
> possible to extend Hamlet to work in an Iteratee too?
>
>  What do I mean? Something like:
>
>  rows <- selectEnum ...
>  hamletAction [$hamlet|
>  <head>
>    $for row <- rows
>
>  That would expand to a monadic action that creates chunks of HTML
> while reading the rows Enumerable.
>
>  Is there any serious technological problem with this approach? Or
> just choosing a nice extension of Hamlet that would allow running
> monadic actions in it like functions are allowed today, without
> affecting the simplicity of the API?
>

> Cheers,
>  Aur
>
> PS Michael, is it possible in Yesod to have two selectEnum-s "running"
> at the same time? Otherwise you'd only be able to work with one query
> at a time in this way...
>
> I think it's possible to interleave two enumerators. I suppose it really
depends on the database backend: will it allow two queries to run
simultaneously. I'm 95% certain that both the PostgreSQL and SQLite backends
will perform properly here, though I can't speak for the MongoDB one.